Monday 21 June 2010

Skye - Knight's Peak & The Bhasteir Tooth







I knew that if I am to bag all the Munro Tops then two in Skye would give me ( as a non rock climber) some difficulty, so last week I hired a guide and successfully climbed those two, in a very enjoyable and exhilarating day.





This picture shows, in profile, Pinnacle Ridge on Sgurr nan Gillean, the first two pinnacles being quite modest. Number 3 is the one where an abseil off is the usual way, whilst number 4 is Knight's Peak, with a rocky spine connecting this to the main summit of Gillean via the West Ridge.

The second photo above is of a following party (from Glenmore Lodge) negotiating Number 3, and I took this whilst on Knight's Peak.


After Gillean, reached by an interesting bit of exposed rock climbing we traversed over Am Basteir, a bit of down-climbing then ensued and suddenly, all that was left was a little scramble to the summit of the "Tooth", easier than I had anticipated. Then a small descent into what could best be described as a cave before emerging onto a rocky ledge in King's Chimney . Out over the edge into thin air on a stout rope onto the scree below, and a trudge down the Bhasteir Gorge path to the Slig for a celebratory pint - a great day out in perfect conditions. (The top photo is my guide, Jonah, dropping onto terra firma from the top of the Chimney on the Tooth)

No comments: