Friday 22 October 2010

For Map Geeks !




On 30th September I found myself walking from Carn Etchachan (a Munro Top of Ben Macdui) to Creagan a Choire Etchachan ( a Top of Derry Cairngorm) and made a conscious effort to visit a little spot which has fascinated me. It's the meeting place of four of the one hundred kilometres squares, so that within a few steps you can stand in grid squares NH, then NJ, NN, and NO. It makes your GPS work overtime ! I suppose the actual grid reference would be NJ000000 ?
Anyway I discovered I was not the only sad person around - someone before me had erected this tiny "cairn" which is just to the left of the little lochan in the other photo.
There you are - I've saved you the bother of going to look for yourself (although Andrew G admitted that he's been there as well ! )

No comments: