Monday 15 August 2011

My Last Munro – Sgurr MicChoinnich, 12 August 2011

Congratulations to Cris, who 'compleated' the munros on Friday. She sent me this report.


I had hoped to have completed my round of the Munros on Sunday (* see In Pin blog report from Les) but it was not to be. My next chance was on the Friday, just me with a guide. The mwis forecast seemed favourable with 80% cloud clear and light winds but of course Skye has to be different.

We set off from the beach carpark and were up in Coire Lagan in no time at all. We had a quick stop to put on waterproofs, it had started to drizzle, the wind was blowing strongly and cloud was on the tops. A quick drink of water and we were off again, up the south side of the Great Stone Chute of Sgurr Alasdair, cutting across to the other side below the crags and some ‘interesting’ scrambling! to emerge onto Collie’s Ledge. (I’ll leave those interested to look up Munro Magic etc for descriptions and photos as per http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/33308 ) All I can say is that I’m glad it was misty and I couldn’t see what was either below or above! I confess to couple of squeals * once when my boots lost their grip on wet basalt. My guide, Lochy, was excellent, keeping a good hold of me and positively hauling me up some bits. When we finally got onto the last stretch of the ridge, I was all for giving up but Lochy would have none of it. We touched the stones at the top (no time for photographs) then beat a hasty retreat back down to our rucksacks, a march along the ridge and down to the start of the An Stuc Screes where we had our first stop of the day. I had only enough time to take off my harness and eat half a sandwich before we were off again down the screes to the Lochan where we had a proper stop. By this time we were thoroughly wet in the now steady rain. Celebrated by sharing my flask of coffee and finishing off my sandwich. Then it was a quick sprint down to the car.

The choice of route for the day was to try to avoid the winds on the ridge, we were fortunate to get a lull, and the pace set was to ensure that we kept warm – Lochy even carried my rucksack and dragged me along on a rein so that we could get off that ridge asap – 4 ½ hours from start to finish. Certainly a day to remember – I think I might feel tired every time I think about it!

I would highly recommend Skye Hi guides to anyone like myself who is a little ‘rock shy’ and it is thanks to my guide’s stalwart efforts that I made it this time. My thanks too to all those whose company I have enjoyed on various other hills.

What next? Time to spare to join others in their quests and to explore the Outer Isles on my bike.

3 comments:

Norman W said...

Well done to Cris for becoming the Club's latest Munroist. Skye certainly makes life difficult at times, but all the more satisfying to have achieved all those summits despite the weather.

Ron said...

When I started the blog, I expected light-hearted and amusing posts and, sure enough, we have had puppy dogs climbing Munros and tales of derring do in foreign parts. Your contributions are on a different level altogether ! Awesome is the word that comes to mind.

Also, as someone approaching the "final push" (30 to go), I am a bit intimidated - is it really going to be this hard ? Could Lochy hold my 14+ stone if I slipped ?

Sincere congratulations on a magnificent achievement.

Les Stuart said...

Congrats Cris. It sounds like an awfull day weather wise, though a great achievement to complete them all.