Monday 1 November 2010

Mullach nan Coirean diversion


The forecast was better for Sunday this weekend, so I headed for Glen Nevis with Fern. At the bottom of the track to Mullach nan Corean were forestry signs asking walkers to follow a diversion. My book says "a footpath winds pleasantly" from the track to the NE ridge by coire riabhach. But the diversion takes the walker up a peaty, boggy, rough forestry path by the Allt Coire a Mhusgain burn instead. This brings you out at the SE corner of the forest and leaves a steep climb up to the ridge to join the path. The diversion, in place until Jan 2011, makes a very difficult start to the walk and may be worth avoiding.

However, I continued on the ridge to the summit, and had a very pleasant walk. I think this hill may often be overlooked for it's close neighbour Stob Ban. But it is a nice hill, and a pleasant ridge walk to the summit. Forecast was for 80% cloud free munros, and I was on the summit in the other 20%. Not to worry, I had left my camera in the car anyway.

1 comment:

Ron said...

There is supposed to be an old stalkers path through the forest (up from the top road). I have looked for it several times but never spotted anything !

I agree the path above the burn (straight on from the end of the forest road) is a nightmare and best avoided. Muck up to your knees ! I hate to think what state the dog was in.

Hopefully, the "usual" route through the now-felled forest will re-open in January with glorious views up Glen Nevis.

The circuit of the Mullach and Stob Ban is a good day.