Sunday 14 November 2010

Thank You Nevis HWC

I eventually made it to the summit of my last Munro Top in the company of Andrew, Gerry, Alan, and Gavin who kindly took the picture. As you can see conditions were challenging.

I would like to say thank you to everyone from the Club who has accompanied me to any of these 227 Tops, many of which are off the normal Munro-baggers routes.

For those who like statistics, I had climbed 97 Tops during my ascent of the Munros in the years up to 2008. To climb the remaining 130 meant 68 days on the hills, walking 1329k in 460 hours. I couldn't even think of calculating what mileage my car has done to get to these hills !

As I've said here before, some of the Tops are a bit boring, but others, particularly in Skye and Torridon give you a real sense of achievement.

I'm grateful to those who have sent good wishes in recent days. In some ways it's sad to get to the end of a journey. Next year I'm hoping to climb "The Furth", the term which the SMC use to describe the 34 mountains over 3000 feet in Ireland, Wales and England. That should be a small enough list for someone of my age to tackle !

I'm looking forward to walking with the Club again next year, and I wish all my fellow members success in their individual challenges.

2 comments:

Les Stuart said...

Congratulations Norman on your excellent achievement. I hope that was a hot toddy you had at the summit, as the weather did not look too good. Good luck on your next challenge.
Les

john_oban said...

Well done, Norman. Don't leave it too long before you come out with the club--it looks as if this may be a good winter for hill walking.
John