Tuesday 7 June 2011

Half way - only 141 to go!

On Sunday Ron, Jimmy and I set off to join the Glen Affric Walking Festival. We met at Morvich just after 8am. Jimmy and I had stayed overnight in the motorhome to avoid an early drive. By 8.30am we had tied the rucksacs onto the roof of the landrovers and 16 of us headed off to Killilan and privileged access all the way to Iron Lodge.



Our aim was to climb Mullach a Dheirgain, one of the Glen Affric hills. It was a clear dry day, with high cloud and a lovely cooling breeze. On the way up the ridge we stopped to discuss orchids and kestrels, and higher up watched a golden eagle circling over the ridge.

We reached our summit in good fettle and the ridge infront of us was just too tempting not to carry on. A leisurely stroll along the ridge, and a final pull of 300m steep ascent saw us on Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, our second munro of the day, and my number 142. Reflecting on this number makes me think of many wonderful days and experiences I'd never have had if not for munro bagging. Ticking a list may not be everybodys cup of tea, but it has taken me to some wonderfully wild spots.

We continued to give us a circular walk back to the track. We are told that we passed several munro tops, but skirted round them (too late in the day for any more ascent). My GPS logged the trip as 20.9km, 1449m ascent, taking 9 1/2 hours but my legs tell me it was more than that! A quick cup of Jack's homemade soup in the motorhome before heading home finished off another excellent day on the hills.

1 comment:

Kev Paterson said...

Well done Sarah. You'll be finished in no time and back around bagging those tops.