Friday 15 July 2011

Braemar Trip

On Monday evening I drove up to Braemar to stay at the Hostel and do a couple of days hillwalking.
On Tuesday I cycled up the track from Linn of Dee to the Derry Lodge where I left my bike. From the Lodge I headed north up a path through the forest then picked a spot to head north east to Beinn Bhreac through thick heather. Reached summit in mist. From there headed north over 4km of bog to the summit of  Beinn a' Chaorainn. Just as I reached the summit the mist lifted and had splendid views all round. From here I dropped down south west to the Lairig an Laoigh, cut across heathery ground to pick the path up that headed west, passing the memorial hut up to Loch Eichachan. From there headed south to Derry Cairngorm then south west to Derry Lodge. It had been a big climb from Lairg an Laoigh to Derry Cairngorm of 455 metres.
On day 2. I again took bike to Derry Lodge and headed west to Lairg Ghru then Corrour Bothy and took the path behind the bothy to the summit of The Devil's Point. It was sunny all day and had great views in all directions. Back the same route then home.

2 comments:

Ron said...

S***t ! I am planning to do exactly the same trip as soon as the weather clears !

We need some way for people to let others know what they want to do, not just what they have done ?

I don't suppose you want to do Ben Avon and/or Beinn a Bhuird in the near future ?

Norman W said...

I hear you've reached a milestone in your bagging Les - well done. I hope I'll be able to come to your final Munro, whenever that is .