Sunday 17 July 2011

Hillwalking in England




After my Irish & Welsh expeditions, all that remained was to bag the 6 peaks in England listed by the SMC as being over 3000 feet.


I climbed Scafell on a very busy day down at Wast Water with many participants in the 3 Peaks Challenge, however my route up Green How soon got me away from the crowds. A descent down the ravine at Foxes Tarn and then a further 300m ascent saw me on Scafell Pike in time to witness two rescues, with two helicopters involved. It made for quite a noisy day ! A quick trip to Broad Crag and Ill Crag was required before a descent back to Wast Water over Lingmell.


To complete what is known as "The Furths" in Munro's Tables, I did another ascent of Helvellyn one sunny afternoon, and the following morning plodded up Skiddaw with my wife to complete the list. The photo above shows that some fizz was consumed to celebrate !


Well, that's it - all 545 peaks listed in Munro's Tables as being 3000+ feet successfully climbed, many in Scotland in the company of Nevis members.


Did somebody mention Corbetts ? Just don't tell my wife who says "NO MORE LISTS" .......


3 comments:

Les Stuart said...

Hi Norman
Congrats on your latest achievements. I think it must be the Corbetts next and the rate you go at they will be done in a couple of years.
Les

Ron said...

Well, I have been told the 2000m hills in Norway (130 thereof) are pretty good !

See www.scandinavianmountains.com

but you did not hear it from me.

john_oban said...

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! And lists are a great way to get you (and me) to new places.
John