Saturday 4 September 2010

All over Scotland !


As I can't be at the Club walk and barbecue today I thought I would share my activities this week by way of the blog.

With a good forecast on Tuesday I headed for Braemar and at 7 a.m. the temperature was -1 C. The cycle up to Slugain for an ascent of Ben Avon and it's four tops was very chilly. A puncture 6k up the glen slowed progress but I managed to visit all the Tops, including the furthest away, East Meur Gorm Craig, which is nearer Cock Bridge than anywhere else ! Did you know that whilst Ben Avon has only one Munro, there are in fact no less than 6 Declassified Munros also ! After a tiring 43k, I was back home by 7 p.m.and a day off to follow !

Thursday saw me in Glen Affric for the marvellous ridge walk in perfect conditions from Tom a' Choinich to Mam Sodhail, and then a descent over Sgurr na Lapaich, last visited by me with Chairman Andrew on 28th March in a blizzard. So different now.
The route described gives 3 Munros and 7 Tops, of which 6 were new to me, and of course the visibility was incredible. The photo above is of Beinn Fhionnlaidh and Coire Lochan, the water looking so blue. Note the distant hills. The total walk was 26k.

I stayed over and on Friday headed for Inchnadamph to climb Ben More Assynt and Conival. On this occasion I headed for the col between Breabag Tarsuinn and Conival and an ascent of Ben More Assynt's South Top from Dubh-Loch Mor. The heat and rough terrain meant four hours to attain the South Top. The ridge connecting the top to the main summit is quoted as being quite exposed but I didn't find any difficulties. By the time I got to the two Munros it was very busy, and I was glad to get back to the car to cool off. Total walk 21.5k. Home to Crieff in just under 4 hours.

I hope to catch up with you all soon, but probably the Arran weekend will be my next outing. Meantime have fun and I look forward to hearing about exploits on Club walks.

3 comments:

Les Stuart said...

Hi Norman
It was a great week to be out on the hills. You are fairly getting through your tops.

Les

Sarah said...

What a week! I missed any chance of walking as Jack was in Montrose fishing for the week. Ironically the weather was not good for fishing- but he still managed to come home with a few salmon.

Norman W said...

Hard lines Sarah, we don't get weeks like that very often, but anyway you'll enjoy the salmon ! Hope someone is going to post about the barbecue goings-on either in the blog or on the Club's web-site.