Tuesday 21 September 2010

Two Days on An Teallach


Ron and Roy will remember the Club weekend three ago at Dundonnell when we climbed An Teallach from the path by the Hotel in foul weather. Last weekend I had another go, and on Saturday I went up the same way on my own and bagged the three outlying Tops of Glas Mheall Mor, Glas Mheall Liath and Sgurr Creag an Eich. True to form it rained most of the day !! Then on the Sunday in a small guided group I did the "proper" traverse from Corrie Hallie over the Forge Ridge. It started fair but conditions deteriorated and the rock proved very slippery in the mist and rain. The first part is fairly straightforward but I found the ascent of all the pinnacles of Corrag Bhuidhe to be quite a challenge . The exposure is extensive, and holds on the pancake shaped rock formations were difficult in the wet. Four of our party managed the route over all the tops, whilst the other two took the bypass path and had a long wait for us. The photos show me sitting on Lord Berkeley's Seat looking like Mr Magoo, and the other is of the preceding party roping up for the ascent of the Corrag Bhuidhe Buttress. Those in the Club who are accomplished scramblers will enjoy this traverse, and I'm sure many have done it before, but I feel it is best saved for one of those clear crisp days with endless sunshine - they do get them occasionally on An Teallach , just not when I'm there ! Anyway, that was another 7 Munro Tops, and I passed the summit trig point on Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill no less than 4 times during the weekend. Does anyone want my surplus ticks ??

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well done Norman, sounds like a great day. I would think this (and days like it) elevates you beyond boring bagger status. You're farily getting through those tops- what next? No doubt your wife will tie you to the house for a while...

Ron said...

You are right about the weather. I was in Ullapool 3 weeks ago - beautiful sunshine, blue sky, could see for miles ..... and wind speeds around 50mph (sustained). Gusting up to 80mph.

But it is beautiful !