Sunday 8 August 2010

Reports of Recent Walks

 Further to John and Norman's blogs re the diary and the newsletter, I think I better come clean and confess that I would like to use  the blog software for the weekly  reports which are presently on the club web-site.

Obviously, the "Reports of Recent Walks" web-page is nothing more that a crude blog. This was fine when I started it but things have moved on, blogging technology is available today, all over the web and  we ought to make use of it.  The  advantage would be that any member could contribute reports and publish them themselves. At present, people write trip reports in an email. I then cut and paste these into a copy of the web-page on my PC along with some HTML (HTML is the instructions to your browser on how to format the page), add the photos, tweak the HTML a bit to tidy up any oddities and load everything to the web-server. Really, this is all looking a bit "third world" by today's standards !!

We could either include  reports of these walks in the existing club blog or have a separate blog dedicated to  Programme Walks. I personally think that one blog is  enough for a small club like ours.

But this is enough from me. What do others think ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all for saving work. And this idea of yours, Ron, sounds as if it would save you a lot. The blog is just as accessible as the website (in fact from the website), and therefore just as good.

Norman W said...

Good idea, but maybe this should eventually be a committee decision. As an ordinary member the suggestion sounds fine to me, but perhaps it should be agreed at the start of a Club walk who is going to do the blog report, otherwise we may end up with several reports, all about the same outing, and the blog could get a bit messy. Wouldn't want to discourage others from adding their own comments and photos however, as I suppose the idea of the blog is to encourage participation.

Kev Paterson said...

I too think this is a good idea, but would hope to encourage as many walkers as possible to contribute. I am sure those who have done such a sterling job putting reports on the website will continue to write and many others will have good intentions, why not suck it and see?

Oh but I trust it will be securely backed up somewhere for posterity.

Les Stuart said...

Re the walk book. I believe that this is a tradition which has been carried down through the years with the club, though I have noticed on walks this year that I have been on more people are breaking into smaller groups for various reasons and the book not been used.
Re the walk report changing to the blog seems to make sense as it would help to cut down work for Ron as that technology is moving forward at a great pace.Only one report be done as Norman mentions it could become messy.
Les