Friday 20 August 2010

Unfinished Business .......

Just back from 7 consecutive mountain days (of which the most enjoyable was the Club day on The Saddle) but I thought some might like to know how I fared elsewhere.

An earlier informal outing to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair (Fisherfield) was planned with Cris but didn't happen, so last week I climbed that one from the A832 via Loch a' Bhraoin. It's a long day and the 28.5k took just over 9 hours. About 45 minutes was spent to and from the wee exposed top of Sgurr Dubh, so if that was omitted and a cycle was used on the long loch approach it should be possible for Cris to add on a couple of other Fisherfield Munros.

John B may also be interested to know that I made it to A' Chralaig's remotish top of A' Chioch which proved impossible on the Club outing on 1st May when snow and zero visibility intervened !

I also blogged about a windy outing to Torridon in July, and on Saturday enjoyed a perfectly calm day to bag my remaining 2 Tops on Beinn Eighe - what a spectacular mountain !

Finally , Les might like to know that I was back in Skye this week and he isn't the only one to suffer poor weather there. Yesterday, Thursday, all forecasts indicated that sunlight would be the sole hazard but up on the Cuillin Ridge it was dreadful, heavy rain, winds of 25mph+, and cold enough for gloves. Managed my 4 remaining Tops there, but I have never seen rock so greasy and frankly I was glad when the time came to escape down the Great Stone Chute !

3 comments:

Ron said...

Norman

Sounds like a good week !

How far can one get on a cycle on the Loch a'Bhraoin track ?

Thanks ... Ron

Norman W said...

Ron - You can cycle about 1km past Lochivraon Lodge although the vehicle track is a bit iffy in places, repaired with long stretches of deep gravel.Many burns to cross also, so dry-ish weather would be best. It took me 70 mins to walk to Lochivraon so you could save a bit with a bike.Rough terrain to MCMF and I was at the col between 981 Top and Sgurr Dubh in 3h 50m from the start of the walk. Hope this helps.

Sarah said...

I really don't know where you get the energy Norman. Good for you.