Thursday 8 July 2010

Advice please

I am thinking of getting a mountain bike. I have resisted so far, but with the purchase of a motorhome, as well as those distant hills, I think it might prove useful. Investigating the difference in front and rear suspension just caused more confusion with terms such as rigid, hard tail etc...! I don't want to spend a lot, and have a friend who no longer uses her front suspension (I think) mountain bike and will sell it to me for £80. Or do I look further before I decide. Please can someone advise the best type to go for. Help, please...

2 comments:

Norman W said...

I'm not really an expert, but for what it's worth I think the most important thing is to get a bike that's not too heavy, since inevitably you'll want to lift it up on to a rack, into the motorhome, or - occasionally - over a locked gate. Get plenty of gears too, about 21 is good. I like front suspension 'cos it saves your wrists on rough stuff, but I don't think rear or seat suspension is necessary, as you can always stand up on the pedals to save jarring your rear end. Have a look at your friend's bike, and make sure it fits before committing yourself - frame sizes vary. Lots of advice on the net and you could always check out E-Bay to see what things are selling for. Hope this helps.

Les Stuart said...

Hi Sarah
After staying in Braemar for two days hill walking and cycling for 16km each day I would advise you to get a bike with front suspension as it will ease the jarring on your neck and shoulders.
Les